Wednesday, August 31, 2011

And The Sign Said, Ugly People Need Not Apply.

  I am encumbered with a Handicap,  and have been from birth. I can assure you, I have experienced discrimination in my life even after the signing of The Americans with Disabilities Act. I found however,  that through hard work and persistence I was able to find some kind of employment.I am disabled now, but I did work for thirty years and did a great deal of ordinary jobs.
  I heard on the news recently, a man named Daniel S. Hamermesh has written a book titled, Beauty Pays. The premise of the book,  basically, contends,  that attractive people, will always be hired, before those, who are less attractive, and attractive people usually get higher paying positions. Mr. Hamermesh believes this is a form of discrimination.I believe he is correct, I would submit to you however, that some forms of discrimination are warranted. I guarantee you, you will never see an ugly NFL. cheerleader. You will never see an ugly fashion model. You will not see an ugly news  anchor especially, female news anchors. Watch FOX NEWS anytime, and you'll see what I mean.Let's face it, we like looking at and being around attractive people. Boys didn't date ugly girls in high school, and girls didn't want to date ugly guys therefore,  as a society, we do practice discrimination to some extent. Mr. Hamermesh wants the government to offer in his words,  job protection for ugly people.I guess this is a form of affirmative action for those who are ugly. One question,  who decides who is ugly? How can you prove you didn't get hired because you were found to be ugly? I have to wonder what's next? Should the government pay for plastic surgery  for those who are deemed to be ugly? Should the government  pay  for  liposuction if  being too fat is deemed to be a factor that causes folks to be ugly and therefore,  they don't get hired?When will Americans learn, that the government can't be the answer,  to every problem,  that plagues our society? The government will never be able to protect us,  from every form of prejudice,  and that's just, the ugly truth! As always my friends, these thoughts, remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment