Thursday, August 4, 2011

Have You Lived In Vain?

  I'm sure you have heard this expression especially,  if a person dies defending our country in the military,  the phrase is often expressed this way, we will make sure our brave soldiers have not died in vain. I understand what is meant when this phase is used however I believer there may be a greater question to consider. Is it possible for someone to live in vain? As I consider this question further, I believe it just may be possible to live in vain. Let me explain it this way, if you live your whole life looking out only for yourself while ignoring the needs of others, then your life will benefit no one and your existence will have been basically meaningless.As you climb the ladder of success in life remember this, be careful who you step on on your way up, because chances are, you'll meet them again on your way back down. My father told me once it's not really important how long you live, it's much more important how you live while your here. I believe that's true. my father said,  be careful  of the bridges you burn. I took this advice and wrote the following poem I hope you like it it's called bridges.
  Some people say to burn your bridges and leave your past behind you. Some people say to burn your bridges because the past will only bind you .Well, I don't know that may be true but I have a different point of view, for I say,  never burn a bridge that once led you to a friend. One day in time , you may just find,  you need to cross that bridge again.
  I hope you enjoyed this poem.I realize the words are simple,  the truth this poem brings out however,  is very real. You can choose to live only for yourself however, if  you make this choice, you will find as you approach the end of your life that your existence has meant nothing thus as terrible as it may be to die in vain,  I believe it is a greater tragedy to have lived in vain. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment