Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Time Is Of The Essence.

  I turned fifty, not too long ago. I guess when you reach a milestone like that one, you begin to reevaluate how you spend your time. I suppose, we do this because as we grow older we become keenly aware,  of our mortality and how all too quickly, time passes. John Lennon said, in one of his songs, 'Life, is what happens to you , while your busy making other plans.' I believe there is a great deal of truth in those words. Let me ask you something? Why is it that we don't have time to go see our loved ones while they are living yet, we find time to send flowers and go to the funeral? Shouldn't we give our loved ones flowers while they are still here to enjoy them? As I pondered these questions recently, I remembered a narrative poem I had written some twenty years ago concerning the sudden death of my grandmother. The title of the poem is called No More Time. I hope the words, will speak to you.
  Look, I wanted to see her. She was really on my mind. I wanted to be with her, but, you understand,  there just wasn't time. I had busy schedules, full of many plans. What little time I had was filled, with far too many demands. So, I told her that I would see her, when came the first of spring, then, all her flowers would be in bloom, and her favorite birds would sing. For some, forgotten reason, I never did arrive, I should have gone to see her I know, but, you understand, there just wasn't time. So, I told her that I  would see her her , when came the first of fall. I knew I wouldn't forget this time, for this was the season she loved most of all. Alas, again, still busy, I never did arrive. I should have gone to see her, I know but, you understand,  there just wasn't time. Then, came the first of winter, and with it, the falling snow.Now, I had the time, and I'd be sure to go! How this vow cheered me!'I'll go today!' At least, that's what I said. Then, came the fatal phone call that told me,  my grand mother now, was dead. You know, I finally did go see her, when to rest she was laid, but, she could see, or hear me, for she was dead, as were all the promises, I had made. Now, I'd give all I have, to see her. How could I have been so blind? I would do anything to see her once more,  but now, there's no more time.
  I hope this poem reminds us all,  to love our loved ones while they are still here, Believe me when I tell you a life time is a long time to live with regret. Hug your children today. Hug your parents today. Whatever it takes find the time. When your loved ones are gone, you'll find you have nothing but time,  to remember, all the missed opportunities you let pass, when you could have spent time with them. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment