Sunday, August 28, 2011

Make Sure You Spell My Name Right!

  I heard a preacher say this in his sermon not too long ago.  He said the following, 'The world would truly be amazed, what could be accomplished for God,  if nobody cared, who got the credit.' I've  been in enough churches in my life, I think I know what the preacher meant. I was in a church business meeting one time, and they spent forty five minutes discussing, whose name would go first on the new church organ dedication plaque. One person thought, their name should be listed first, and in the largest print and they wanted to sure, the family's  name would be spelled correctly, after all, this particular family,  had donated the largest amount of money for the new church organ. Another member thought, that their name should be listed first,  since they had been the churches first charter member. An argument would  have ensued, had the pastor not promised to list both names side by side at the top of the church organ dedication plaque. This whole situation, seemed rather strange to me. I thought the organ, should have been dedicated for the glory of  God. It sounded to me however, as if the organ was being dedicated , for the glory of  those two,  prominent,  members of that church. It seems to me, that if the organ  was for the benefit of all the church  members there, then, who cares who gave the most money,  or who was the church's first charter member! Do those particular facts make the church organ's music play any sweeter? Do you think God was impressed? Somehow, I don't think so.
  Jesus speaks on this very clearly in the Bible. He makes it clear we are not to do good deeds just to be seen of men and thus gain their praise here on earth. As Christians, if we good things just to gain the praise of others, then, we have our reward, already. How much better then, to do good deeds perhaps even anonymously, and seek rather, to be rewarded one day by God in Heaven. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment