Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Please Sir May I Have Some More?"

  I'm sure you remember the title of this blog as the famous quote from the1969 musical "Oliver." I really hate the thought that there are many hungry children all over the word. My wife is from the Philippines and many people there just barely have enough to eat.The people are so thankful to have enough rice to eat even if that is all they have to eat that day. I still remember when my wife arrived in the United States.I welcomed her to America by taking her to a local all you can eat restaurant. My wife was floored!  She has never seen so much food in one place. I told her she could go back as many times as she wanted. I remember she kept saying, I really can have all I want? I don't have to share? I remember, she noticed all the food that she saw people throw away, and she asked me why people here in America waste so much food. She said don't Americans know that the food they throw away would feed a third world county? I finally said to her honey,  I guess  Americans  for the most part have forgotten what it is like to be truly hungry.
  When I was growing up, it was understood that if you took the food you ate it, and if by chance you went to someone else's house you better eat whatever they have! I remember Dad made us try every thing. I remember if you took a second helping you were expected to eat the food you took. Dad used to say" take all you want, but eat all you take! The poorest American is still far better off then people in a third world county. Remember, the next time you ask, "please sir, may I have some more, ?  I want you   to remember to be thankful and please,  eat all you take. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment