Monday, October 24, 2011

When The Friendly Skies Arn't So Friendly

  I love to fly. I always have. You get where your going so much faster than you would if you have to drive. I turned on the news to catch up on what's going on in the world. Suddenly, I heard  a story  about a young woman and her mother who had just boarded a flight that was headed for her home in Dallas The young lady had just taken her seat when a member of Southwest Airlines told her in so many words that she and her mother were  too fat to fly and that if she wanted to fly to her destination she would have to purchase another seat. Keep in mind,  this whole conversation was going on in front of all the other passengers. I can only try to imagine the deep pain,  and humiliation that she experienced. As if that  wasn't bad enough, after she purchased another seat, just before the plane took off She was told that now, she had to give up the extra seat she had been forced to purchase, because another passenger  had  arrived late,  and now needed  her extra seat. The passenger's name was Kenlie Tiggeman. Speaking,  as a person, who is handicapped and  has experienced discrimination at different times in my life, if I could  offer some words of comfort and encouragement to Miss Tiggeman there are some things I would encourage her to remember. First, I would tell her to walk with her head held high. I would tell her that she never has to apologize for her appearance, nor does she have to ask anyone for permission to exist! I would tell Miss Tiggeman that her experience though humiliating, serves as a remider to me,  that no one can take a way your dignity unless you let them. I would tell Miss Tiggeman that I envied her ability to handle a terrible situation with a class and grace I could only hope to have.
  Finally, I would remind Miss Tiggeman, that man looks on the outward appearence but God looks on the heart. I would let MissTiggeman Know that God loves and made her the way he wants her to be,  and that her story once again inspires me to accept people for who they are, and not for what I might wish  they could be. I have a feeling,  that Miss Tiggeman's story serves as a great inspiration to anyone who suffers from low self esteem because they are self conscience about their appearance. I would also tell this young lady that she has worth and she matters and I would tell her that her true friends love and care about her as a person  no matter what her size may be and  her  true friends will always be there for her,  even if she can't were a size six dress. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment