Saturday, October 15, 2011

Have Americans Forgotten How To Be Self Reliant?

  I'm sure by now,  you have looked at the news. I am so tired of the protesters,  all camped out there in the park,  just waiting for all the wealthy people on wall street to solve all their economic problems. Perhaps,  that is the essence of a much deeper problem. I believe,  it is just possible,  that many Americans have forgotten the one skill,  our great grandparents and grandparents knew. What is that skill you ask? The art and skill of being self reliant. I don't fault many of the young people today. For some time now,  they have grown up in a society that seems to suggest, they are entitled to everything. The government has been all to willing to supply most,  if not all,  of our society's basic needs. Parents,  in an effort to give their children all the things they did not have may have made life a bit to easy, as a result,  children today have grown up to expect someone to to give them everything.
  Look I realize, it's hard for college graduates to find top paying jobs upon, graduation. Let me ask you something. What's wrong with taking one maybe even two lower paying jobs while your waiting for the job you want? My dad, worked three jobs for several years and they weren't any type of an executive job. I can assure you of that! My dad was just willing to take any job he could get. We never went hungry, and we never took anything from anyone. My dad knew the importance of  being self reliant  and he passed that particular family value to me. There are jobs out there,  if you are willing to work two part time jobs maybe,  I heard one of the protesters say he wouldn't work for just seven dollars an hour. Therein, lies the problem. Many Americans today,  do not have the will or the strength of character to start at the bottom and work their way to the top. Many Americans prefer to start at the top and if they can;t do that,  they expect the government to give them them the high paying jobs they want. Many Americans are content to live on unemployment or food stamps at least  until the government guarantees them the type of job they want  You know, as I think about it, maybe another Great Depression wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing. That may be,  what it will take for many Americans to once again learn how to be self reliant. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment