Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wall Street Woodstock

  I am a person who studies history,  and although,  I was only nine in 1969 I do have at least a faint memory of  Woodstock. As I have continued,  to view old  film clips it seems to me,  Woodstock was a three day  free for all. Wood stock was supposed to be about protesting the war in Vietnam and every one was supposed to be spreading peace and love everywhere. However, I think Woodstock,  was really,  just a chance for a lot of spoiled young people to all get together and attend a free drug filled,  rock concert. I guess you could say, they all had a chance to tune in turn on and drop out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if  Dr. Timothy Leary was in attendace at Woodstock. To my knowledge,  no prsons were seriously hurt at Woodstock
  Fast forward to today, right now Wall Street has several thousand people protesting something, Just what that something is is at best, undefined. To some,  it'ts a chance to get free food, while complainning about being economically opressed by the very wealthy. To others it's a chance,  to score some free drugs and apparrenty,  not get caught.Still others say,  they are protesting because there are not enough well paying jobs to be had by everyone. Then again,  that same guy took the day off, and even though it meat he would be fired, he just had to be there,  to protest the fact that now he needs a job! Now,  it seems we've  got the unions involed in this great protest against capitalistic opression!
  You know I wonder just how committed some of these protesters are? I wonder how many of the protesters would stay and protest if they could be offered enough money to leave? I know many of them say they're committed and I believe many of them should be committed, and placed in the finest mental institutions in New York! Look,  most of these folks are only there because it's the in thing to do. AS soon as the free food,  and media coverage go away,  so will most of the protesters.
  I cauation the Deocrats. Protest often,  over time,  tend to turn,  toward violence.I would submit to you, that if  blood begins to spill,  no Democrat will be anywhere near Wall Street. Some of you,  remember the Democratic Convention in Chicago in 1968 the violence that sprang up there, cost the the Democrats the election. I'm sure, many of you,  can remember the great tragedy on May 4, 1970 at Kent State University when the Ohio National Guard was called in to handle an anti war protest that ended up with four students dead,  and nine students wounded some,  have said,  that event ended,  all the anti war demonstrations because people finally relized innocent people could get hurt. Thankfully,  no one has been hurt,  as a result of the protest on Wall Street,  at least, not yet. The sad truth is however,  if  the protesters arn't real careful it wouldn't take much, to have another tradegy on our hands.As always my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment