Saturday, March 17, 2012

Just How Equal Do Men And Women Really Want To Be?

  I heard on the news this morning that in another ten years,women more specifically,  mothers will be the primary bread winners. According to the Shriver  Report right now four out of ten mothers are the primary bread winners. I don't suppose there is anything  necessarily wrong with that and I have no real problem with that. There is no doubt that beginning in the days of World War II  women began  to work out side of the home and I imagine they enjoyed working and having their own money. I think the Women's Liberation movement of the late sixties and all through the seventies did establish that if a woman can do a job as well as a man then there indeed should be a policy of equal pay for equal work. I am also very willing to admit that my wife is more creative than I am. She is certainly a better organizer than I am not to mention a much better cook! She looks just lovely in almost any type of out fit she decides to wear and I promise you she will always wear a dress better than I ever could or would ever want to! Seriously though, I don't mind that my wife makes more money than I do. I don't measure my self worth by how much money I make. I believe both men and women both have  equal worth and should both be equally respected. I have to admit  however,  that in today's society, this is all to often not the case. Have you seen any recent sitcoms lately? The father is made out to be quite useless and often quite stupid! The mom runs the family not because she has to or was even asked to but because the Dad is  to stupid to even try to do anything! Do you think I am wrong? Go back and watch  the Roseanne,  show that was popular in the nineties I saw a show recently on the Disney channel called,  Good Luck Charlie, and while I am sure the show means no real harm it is amazing how silly the men are made out to be. I have to say,  I am not surprised,  when I see men who act like something less than men but it is often not their fault I mean really,  where are the men role models for boys to learn from?
 I know and understand in today's busy society,  mom and dad both have to work to make ends meet. I have no problem doing dishes or even the laundry. I think any good husband, should want to help his wife out around the house especially if she has to work out side the home just like a husband does.
 I   think a woman,  should be able to work in any field or choose any job that a man may have . I would point out however,  their may be natural consequences to any career choice a woman may make. I know we have women in our military, and they want to fight on the front lines and they should be able to if they  choose to and want to I'm just not sure,  it's always fair to require them to.
  Let's face it men and women should be treated equally when possible and they always should be respected equally, but their some very real differences between men and women. A woman, who wants to be a fireman or a fire person as the case may be, if she weighs 120 pounds and is five foot three she is is going to have a real hard time carrying an unconscious 200 pound man over her shoulder, down a fire escape.  There may be one or two 120 pound women who could do this but I bet their aren't many,  if there are women who  can do this I think that's great. Why is there such a push in our society for the sexes to some what unisex in nature? Personally,  I think that just because men and women have some obvious differences, I think both men and women have and should be treated with equal worth. I have to tell you though, their are  some differences in men and women that I am very thankful for. I have no desire to experience child birth that is an experience I will will gladly leave that to the women for they have been doing a fine job with that up to now and I have to desire to even try to equal with them in that area!  I would ask women,  who enjoy various aspects of dating, do they really want to date some one who just treats them like one of the guys? I think a woman,  should be able to do any thing she wants to  and if she is qualified and can do a job as well as any man more power to her! Being  equal is okay in many circumstances. I am confident, that our nation will one day  indeed,  have a woman as President. I have to say however,  their are some definite times in my life when I am very glad that  men and women are very different and I thank God for those differences  I have to be honest,  I didn't marry my wife because,  she looked or reminded me of one of the guys! as always, my friends, these thoughts remain just, some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment