Sunday, March 4, 2012

Are You Thankful Enough For America To Give Something Back?

  Not long ago I over heard two ladies talking in a grocery store parking lot. One lady asked the other who she planned on voting for in the 2012 presidential election her response left me quite stunned she said these words, " I don't care who gets in just as long as I get my food stamps and unemployment check, I vote for the person who is going to give me the most after all times are hard." Yes Times are hard but I'm afraid that ladies attitude is a huge part of what is wrong in this country today. People seem to love America,  as long as they can get something from the government but I'm afraid there  may not be many who would be willing to make a personal sacrifice in order give something back to America. I even find this give me attitude among those who call themselves Christians. I would submit  to you this ought not to be.
  There is a story in II Samuel 23:16 that seems to say much about  the ability to make a personal sacrifice especially when a person or a nation seeks God's blessing. In this passage we hear David,  ask with deep longing for a refreshing drink from the well at Bethlehem. David,  was thirsty yes,  the battle with the Philistines,  had been long and no doubt very hot but David,  was also homesick and the fresh water from the well at Bethlehem was his way of expressing how much he missed his home land. When David's men heard David,  make a request for a drink of water from the well at Bethlehem three of his mightiest men broke through the Philistine enemy lines and  brought David fresh water from the well at Bethlehem. David's response,  says a great deal about the kind of man he was and the kind of king he would one day be. David's thanked his brave men for this daring act of sacrifice but he pored the water out as a sacrifice to God because as thirsty as he may have been he thirsted even more for God's blessing in his battle with the Philistines and the deliverance of the nation of Israel.
  I wonder what sacrifice the American people  would be willing to make both for the good of the country and to secure God's blessing on this nation? President Obama, talks a great deal about people paying their fair share he is of course referring to the very wealthy in this country. I would suggest to you maybe the forty nine percent  of Americans who live in this great country and enjoy the blessings and benefits of living in this country yet, pay  no taxes at all should perhaps be willing to pay something even if it is only one percent. of a persons income. Maybe a flat tax would be a better way for all Americans to give something back to this great country As David said in II Samuel 24 : 24 " I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God, burnt offerings that cost me nothing." The time may soon come in America,  when all Americans,  may have to make some kind of sacrifice to secure God's blessing and assure America's survival as a nation. When that time comes , what will each of us be willing to sacrifice? as always my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment