Monday, January 2, 2012

Freedom Comes With A Certain Amount Of Responsibility.

Well, here we are with a new year. Many of you, made resolutions. I too have made a resolution. I resolve to appreciate as well as realize, the responsibility that comes with our freedom here in America. I would submit to you however, that freedom has certain limitations. I am disabled, I am free to stay up as late as I want, I have no work schedule to keep. I don't have the right however to stay up late and make so much noise that my wife can't sleep. I must remember to limit some of my personal freedom so that my wife can sleep. She needs her rest because she has to go to work therefore, if I choose to stay up late, I must also realize the responsibility I have to my wife to be as quiet as possible.
  I have resolved to appreciate the freedom that comes from living in a free country even if I think our freedom here in America is often, abused. I will never understand why four teenagers in Charlotte North Carolina,  can burn the American flag in the name of freedom of expression,   while at the same time others who would fly the American flag to honor our troops who are fighting for us to preserve the freedom our flag stands  for are not permitted to do so. Right now there is a bill purposed by Indiana Senator, Vaneta Becker that would fine some one 25.00 if they sing our national anthem  in a mocking or disrespectful way. I think it has some merit we should respect our nations national anthem. I have to ask myself however,  what's wrong with this picture on one hand, you are told to sing our national anthem with respect yet, you are free to burn our American flag as long as you burn it away from anything that might be flammable like a tent  for example.
  I have to tell you, the thought that a person has the right to burn the American flag, and that they are free to do so,  as long as they are careful while they are doing it literally, makes my blood boil! When I think of the thousands of brave men and women who have fought and died for the freedom our flag represents and then some thoughtless careless person burns the American flag to make some kind of  worthless social statement it is all I can do to contain my anger and disgust! Something else I find particularity disturbing, Did you know that even in America, you can be an active member of the Communist Party if you so choose you can also,  join the Nazi Party if  you want to all in the name of  freedom, I would consider this an abuse of  freedom, and an act of treason but that's just me. How can we as Americans say we value our freedom, if we forget the price so many have paid to provide the freedom we enjoy here in America. This is why I resolve to to never forget the price of freedom as well as the responsibility I have as an American, to use it wisely. As always my friends, these words remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment