Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All In The Name Of Higher Learning?

  I first went to college over thirty years ago. During my college days I took many interesting classes I excelled  in most of my classes my major was History Education. I enjoy studying and researching  all types of history.I have to admit to you however, I am deeply concerned with what passes as an acceptable college class these days. I was watching the news recently when I heard that Dr Hannah Appel, a professor at Columbia University, will now teach a class and upper class men and graduate students will obtain college credit for attending and taking an active roll in the Occupy Wall Street Movement. The class, is offered by the Anthropology Department of Columbia University.The course is called, Occupy the Field Global Finance Inequality Social Movement.  Dr, Hannah Says, the purpose of the class is to have students take an active role in the Occupy Wall Street movement by attending protest  events and work on out of class projects developed in close conversation with the instructor. Dr Hannah,  has instructed the students not to break any laws while taking part in the protest.
  I have to ask myself just what are the students expected to learn from this course? How to sleep in a public Park? How to disrupt various banks and other various business institutions? How to be an over all  nuisance and a public menace to the  already over worked and under payed  city police department? Can you imagine what the homework would be like? Maybe  the students could go interrupt a state election primary. Columbia University has always been a little out there and by the way President Obama, obtained a degree in Political Science from Columbia University  in 1983. I'm sure the President will be all for this great learning experience. I suspect that the students who take this course, will learn just how unfair and how unequal our system of Capitalism is supposed to be, even though that system helped to make America, the most successful nation on earth. When I think about what is being taught in many of our colleges and universities, all I can say is I'm glad I was able to attend a private Christian University. as always my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment