Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sticks And Stones

  No doubt you remember back when you were in elementary school. Remember the bully on the play ground that always called you names you didn't like? I remember saying this familiar rhyme, sticks and stones  may break my bones but words will never hurt me. Well, we all know,  that isn't always true. Words often said carelessly,  without thought,  can indeed hurt and try as we might  words said in anger,  really can't be taken back.The key then,  is to be able to discern if some one's words or opinions,   really matters.  As we mature hopefully,  we learn how to decide who to listen to and take seriously, and who to take with a grain of salt. Here is what I mean. I don't care who you are, if  you live long enough, sooner or later your going to meet some one who for what ever reason, will decide they do not like you for one reason or another.
  When I was growing up, I soon learned, that I was different then all of my fellow classmates. I had a handicap cerebral palsy, made my legs weak this made me walk much differently then others and yes there were always those who thought it was real funny. I remember one person ask me,  if  I was  mentally slow. When I asked him why he asked me that question he said."I guess I figured, if  you walk slow, you must be slow in the head." I basically, dismissed his statement because I figured he was empty in the head! I found it quite interesting however, in my senior year of  high school, I won some awards  for creative writing. Who do you think, was asked to help his fellow classmates with their research papers? That's right, me, the guy who walked funny,and a little slower than most, I guess my class mates soon figured out I wasn't slow in the head. As most of us do I eventually figured out whose opinion  mattered, and whose opinion  didn't
  This week I heard on the news, that President Obama, was very upset with Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. Apparently, in her new book Scorpions for Breakfast, Governor Brewer, said something negative about President Obama,  or perhaps she portrayed President Obama, in a way he did not like. I know she calls what he wants to do about illegal immigration, amnesty. President Obama,  calls what he wants to do about illegal immigration, comprehensive immigration reform. Governor Brewer's book may be called,  Scorpions for Breakfast, but when I saw the picture on the news where she went to meet President Obama, shortly after he arrived on Air Force One, the way she was pointing her finger, it seemed to me Governor Brewer, was having President Obama,  for breakfast literally!
  One would surely think,   that with our nation nearly 16 trillion dollars in debt, Iran on the verge of developing nuclear weapons, Europe,  on the verge of economic collapse, the president might have a few more things on his mind to worry about besides,  what Governor Brewer,  may, or may not, have said about him in her book! I mean,  think about it, as President of the United States,  our Commander and Chief, as the leader of the free world,  is his ego that fragile? Give me a break Mr. President! Sticks and stones may may break your bones, but mere words in Governor Brewer's book Scorpions for Breakfast should, never hurt you however,  this controversy, will help sell Governor Brewers book. Perhaps, Governor Brewer,  should thank President Obama,  for his negative reaction to her book because now Governor Brewer's book Scorpions for Breakfast,  has become an over night number one best seller, and Governor Brewer, is laughing, all the way to the bank! As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment