Monday, September 5, 2011

Your Labor Is Not In vain

  I remember my first job,  I was a junior counselor at a camp for the handicapped. I fit right in,  and felt right at home. I have cerebral palsy,  so I was able to relate to the needs of many of the campers. I remember how happy I was,  to receive my first real paycheck. The check was for forty dollars. I remember I was upset because I thought I had been cheated. the check said,  I earned forty dollars but, I only cashed a check for twenty seven dollars and fifty cents. It was then, I had my first introduction to the government, and state,  and federal income tax.  .I remember how hard the work was,  both mentally, and physically. I remember how tired I was,  at the end of that first week and yet, it felt good to be tired. I had earned my own money. I discovered a new feeling as well, something I had not felt until receiving that first paycheck, It was a feeling of pride and self worth,  what I was feeling,  for the first time,  was self respect. I had a new confidence, I asked a girl out, the next week and I was able to pay for her meal. I finally knew what it felt like to be a man. That was one feeling  I truly enjoyed and never forgot.
  I remember how worthless my Dad felt when he grew to old to move freely soon,  he was unable to drive, finally,  as cancer took over his body, all dad could do was sit,  and remember all the things he once was able to do not surprisingly, he died a few months later a tired and broken man. What I learned was, it is good for a man or woman to work. When a parent gives there children everything the could ever want and ask nothing of their children in return,  they teach their children,  to expect everything to be given to them on a silver platter. Have you ever noticed that pampered,  spoiled,  very rich kids are seldom satisfied?  I believe that's because everything has been handed to them thus, they never know the joy that comes from work,  and sweat,  and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with knowing,  you have earned,  what you have made. I think those,  who have never had to work for anything are deprived,  because they never experience the joy,  that comes from knowing, no matter how hard the work may be, their labor is not, in vain. as always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment