Monday, September 19, 2011

Till Death Do Us Part;

  It seems,  nearly every  day some aspect of the institution of marriage comes under attack from those with a liberal point of view. I am not surprised when this occurs,  as a matter of fact, I've come to expect it. I must admit however, I did not expect to have to defend the institution of maraige because of some careless coments from Pat Robertson. According to Pat Robertson, Alzheimer's is a kind of death,  so if your spouse is found to have Alzheimer's according to  Pastor Robertson,  sine your spouse will eventuall die from the desase you should go ahead and divorce them,  and get on with your life.
  I went back and looked at my marriage vows after I heard these comments from Pastor Robertson. I searched,  and searched but, I saw no such provision. I remember the vows went something like this,  for better, for worse for richer and poorer,  in sickness and in health,  from this day forward,  till death do us part.It seems to me, if your spouse has Alzheimer's you are still bound by your vows to stay with them and take care of them as best you can for as long as you can. My mom and dad were married for sixty four years. When dad got cancer,  mom took care of him round the clock day and night,  and the night dad passed a way,  mom sang songs  of comfort to him till he quietly slipped into Heaven. I have another dear friend,  who took care of her husband after he was found to have Alzheimer's. She took care of her husband all by her self  for ten years even after,  he no longer knew who she was. I guess she didn't get the memo from Pastor Robertson saying,  it was okay to get a divorce under these particular set of circumstances.Remember how the wedding vows end? I sure do, what God hath joined together,   let no man or  Alzheimer's put asunder. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment