Friday, September 7, 2012

So Obama, Where's The Beef?

  One of my favorite commercials from the eighties is a Wendy's advertisement  where a very humorous old  lady looks at a rather lack luster hamburger and  ask"Where's the beef?"I found my self asking that very same question as I listened to President Obama's democratic nomination acceptance speech. Obama, has always been able to give a good speech and heaven knows the president loves to talk. I have to say though that this speech was a far cry from the speeches I remember four years ago.As I recall,  in 2008 there were many caught up in the idea of Obama's hope and change and his slogan of yes we can.I remember seeing the young people many were so taken with Obama in 2008. now it seem, that many college graduates, feel as though they have been taken by Obama, Hope and change has become I hope there will be a change in the economy and soon.
  I did not hear any of Obama's usual eloquence in last nights speech. He chose instead to speak in very general terms and of course he had some good lines taking what I thought were very cheap shots at Mitt Romney, I am accustomed to politicians taking cheap shots at their opponents but it seems that the only time the president is not cheap is when he is spending the American people's tax dollars! The president tried to make his case to the American people by saying,that it took several decades of republican tax brakes and corporate greed left unguarded to get America,  in it's present economic condition and therefore,  he stated that it would take more than a few years to clean up the economic mess he had inherited from the Bush administration.as I watched Obama, almost pleading with the American people,  for their continued patience and understanding I thought for  a moment he was going to break out in song and sing that old song from the seventies by the Chairmen of the Board called,  Give Me Just A Little More Time!
  I was very disappointed with Obama's speech he promised a million new jobs but then he gave no specific plan to tell the American people by what means he would accomplish this goal.He said things weren't exactly as he would like them as far as employment and the economy were concerned but he believed that if the American,  people would just grant him another term as president America, had no problems that couldn't be fixed but it would take at least another for years. I have heard the president often speak of investing in America's future I think the American taxpayers,  have done that several times now with several bail outs. The president took millions of American tax dollars,  and went in search of green jobs he invested it  in green projects like  Soylendra and Abound solar company. Well no green jobs were created but they companies sure took a lot of American taxpayers,  green and then Solyndra, and Abound solar company declared bankruptcy, I have to give Obama,  credit though he is concerned with the environment and he is very good at recycling his same old tired economic ideas  over and over and over again and that is exactly what Obama, did in his speech last night. A speech that just left me asking for concrete and specific solutions  to America's many economic problems but all Obama's  speech did for me was leave confused and disappointed and as far as specifics were  concerned I was left asking, "Where's the beef!" As always, my friends these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment