Saturday, February 4, 2012

It's Not A Sin, To Be Rich.

  We hear a lot of  talk in political circles these days,  about the rich. I can tell you rich,  will never be a word, that will describe me. I will confess however,  that I have often felt, just like Chaim Topol, who played the lead part of  Tevye, the poor Jewish milk man, in the classic film, Fiddler On The Roof. At one point in the film Tevye,  lifts his eyes toward Heaven,  and says the following,"It's not a sin to be poor but then again,  it's no great honor either." If  being rich is a disease then, may God strike me with it, and may I never recover."
  Yes, there have been certain times in my life, when I have wondered, what it would be like to buy anything you could possibly want or need and pay for it all,  in cold cash never having to worry even once,   if  you could really afford it or not. The truth is, it's not a sin to be wealthy, I don't begrudge, Governor Mitt Romney, his wealth
 I think, if  he has worked hard and honesty earned  the  money,  that  he has then I say,   more power to him. I realize, that any great society,  needs the influence, and the  contributions of  the rich. Think about it, the rich help  build new businesses by investing in them. Many hospitals, clinics, colleges Universities libraries, even some churches, and museums were all built thanks,  to the generosity of  the donations of  the richest among us. Many worthy causes and charities,  are able to do a lot of good  work for those who are in need because of generous contributions given by the wealthy. Do you really think our American society would be better off  without,  the donations,  investments,  and contributions made by the rich? A good friend of  mine once told me, that it is not a sin to have money, but, it can become a sin the moment money,  has you. What did this mean? The answer is simple. A person,  whose sole purpose in life is to acquire money just for the sake of  having money, will one day die and leave all their money here for some one else to spend. On the other hand,  if  a person,  lives their life to acquire money to use for the general good and benefit of others, will find even in death,  their selfless giving will live on
  I am sure, that the word rich, and my name will never be used in the same sentence. I do realize however, that my life,  as well as the lives,  many others in American society today,  have been made better through the generosity of  the rich. I may never be a rich man, in the literal sense of  the word. I find however, I am rich,  for I have,  the things in life,  that really matter, and money can not buy. I have the unwavering love of a wonderful wife and daughter, I have the love and respect of  a few, but priceless,  close  friends. You know,  maybe, I am rich,  after all,  for my life  continues,  to be enriched by them. as always, my friends, these thoughts remain,  just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment