Thursday, February 23, 2012

Convictions Of Convenience

  Last evening I was able to catch most of the Republican presidential debate. I would have to say for me there were no real surprises. Governor Romney,  appeared to be able to present himself as a solid presidential candidate.  The conventional wisdom seems to suggest that he will receive the nomination if only because he has enough financial support and enough organization to  out last  the other candidates. As I expected Governor Romney, launched an all out attach on Senator Santorum and he was aided in his attack by Congressmen Ron Paul. Speaker Newt Gingrich, was at his best and he presented himself in  his usual calm clear and concise manner.
  I must admit however I find my self a bit troubled when I consider the future of America. On one hand, Republicans say,  they want a true conservative and I think they do at least they want someone who is conservative in their politics. There is however,  a lingering attitude even among most conservative Republicans that I find very disturbing. I would express  to you that I have a certain respect for Senator Santorum because he is willing to admit that his faith that is to say,  what he believes will influence the way he will  govern should he become president. I don;t know what is so wrong with saying this. The way I see it if what a person believes doesn't not affect the way a person lives and the decisions they choose to make then why bother to have faith at all? If a person running for president tells you they will try to to be an honest person isn't that an expression of their faith? Do we really want a president whose faith will play no part in the way they will govern?
  I can assure you that President Obama's liberal beliefs have definitely influenced the way he has governed this nation up to now. He may not say this is an expression of his faith but it is. President Obama,  believes there should be no poor people in America so he seeks to remedy this problem through  political policies that encourage wealth redistribution and the result is class warfare. President Obama, believes that everyone should have free health care and seeks to impose this belief on everyone whether they want it or not. Yet Senator Santorum, says he personally believes that marriage is between a man and a woman and  that the traditional family is  the basic foundation of American society and he is criticized because liberals claim he  is seeking to impose his personal beliefs on  those who may not see things just the way he does. President Obama, does this all the time. I don't recall being asked if I wanted American taxpayers to bail out the banks  on Wall Street or the auto industry or the housing market but President Obama, believed that the American tax payer should do this so he imposed his beliefs on all of the American people whether we liked it or not. I summit to you that we already have enough politicians who have convictions of convenience. in other words we have plenty of politicians who  will tell you they believe whatever they think you want to hear as long as it is convenient and benefits them politically but should this belief prove to be unpopular and thus be come politically inconvenient they will then   change there belief to that which is more convenient and politically beneficial to them. This is my greatest concern with Governor Romney, I wonder if he will change his beliefs should they become politically inconvenient. I would hope that every American would want a President who will be consistent in the area of  what they say they believe, even if  those beliefs are at times politically inconvenient. as always, my friends, these words remain, just,  some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment