Sunday, November 13, 2011

We Wish You A Merry Christmas

  Well, it's that time of year again I saw my first  Christmas lights,  going up in our neighborhood last night. My wife tells me,  the stores,  have all their  Christmas decorations  up,  and some stores,  are having special Christmas deals, even before Thanksgiving,  I guess,  the stores,  are trying to stimulate,  the economy a little earlier,  this year,  to make up for the lack of consumer spending from January to September.
  There is a growing problem in this country however,  that I find most, disturbing. There  seems to be more than a reluctance,  to say the words , Merry  Christmas. Someone, may say,  Happy holidays, or Seasons Greetings, but not, Merry Christmas, I wonder why? After all, Christmas, is a legal, holiday. President, Ulysses, S Grant, signed the bill, that made Christmas, a federal holiday, June 28, 1870. I think I may know why, you can't seem to wish your friends, a Merry Christmas. First, there is this huge problem, with all things that need to be politically correct. You, can't exclude any other religions, when you greet them. therefore, if you see a person of  Jewish faith, you say,  Happy Hanukkah, if you run into an African American, then you must greet them, with,  Happy Quanza, and if your not sure of  a person's  faith or heritage, I guess, you have to greet them with as many greetings,  as  you are aware of  however,  if  you use this method, to greet someone, it could take,   twenty minutes, or more, just to say, hello our goodbye during the holiday season. I suppose, that's why, it's easier, to say, Happy Holidays. Secondly, and perhaps, more importantly, there is an overwhelming desire in this country, to remove any sense of God, or religion, from our culture, here in America.
  Well, I'll tell you, right now, I am not going to do anything to help that to happen, Saying Merry Christmas, is part of my freedom of speech, which is protected by the first amendment as outlined,  in the Constitution of the United States. I know, we have those,  who are of different faiths and cultures, and I can respect that and if  I see you this  holiday season, I will try,  to greet you the way you would wish for me to however, should I forget, and offend you, because I didn't greet you correctly remember  this, you live in America,  and here a lot of us enjoy,  saying,  have a Merry Christmas, should you find this greeting offensive, perhaps you should live where they will greet you,  according,  to that which is your custom. Speaking just for myself, I intend, to always make a conscience effort,  to keep Christ, in Christmas, and in the words of tiny Tim of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol, I say,  God, bless us, everyone! As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment