Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Choice

  On this Thanksgiving Day, I realize, I have so much to be grateful for. a few days a ago my daughter, ask me a question which I will admit to you, I found very difficult to answer. What was her question? She simply asked me , "Daddy, why do people place their parents in nursing homes"? I told her many people are unable to take care of their parents, in the way that they need to be cared for and often,  there is no one to watch their parents because everyone is busy working so the nursing home is a place where older folks who need extra can get. and then the families of these people, can come for a visit and  look in on them to check and see if they are being cared for properly and make sure they're okay.  Thinking that my answer would satisfy my daughter,I turned  to continue working on my computer. My daughter  came back later and said ,"Daddy, I heard many of the nursing homes don't really do a good job taking care of peoples parents, is that because they don't know them? Yes, I said, then she said doesn't anyone love them anymore yes I said but there children are busy and it's hard to find time to see them all the time, then she said,  "Is that why they fell so lonely and forgotten"? I told my daughter, "Yes, honey I'm sure that's why. My daughter then said to me, "Don't worry daddy, I love you and mommy so much you can live with me forever." I had to leave the room then, because I didn't want my daughter to see me weep.
  The truth is,  this type of heart wrenching choice, has to be made far too often in our American society today. I am also concerned with certain aspects of  President Obama's health care law. The idea that a group of strangers on some board can decide, if  you should live or die based on whether you or your medical insurance can afford to pay for the medicines or procedures to treat you, and if they decide that the treatments are too expensive,  then they just give you medicine too make you comfortable  and then I guess wherever you are at that point, you then decide,  how and where you want to be when you pass a way.
  Speaking for my self, I hope the Supreme Court finds President Obama's health care law unconstitutional. Personally, I don't think the government should force anyone, to purchase health care and I definitely, don't want the government telling me by my health and financial circumstances how when or where I should pass away. that is a choice that should be left in the hands of my loving family and I and the God we worship and believe in.As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment