Monday, November 21, 2011

Can One Person Really Make A Difference?

  I was talking to my uncle recently, I was telling him how I felt about  certain things going on in our government today and suddenly,  he said, "I don't worry about anything because,  I've heard it all before, and both the Democrats and the Republicans will promise change just to get elected and then once they get into office, both parties,  will basically ignore,  the will of the American people,  and do basically, do what they want to do anyway.' The sad truth is,  I think to a great existent  my uncle is right. Many people seem to feel this way, and I can understand why many in America today, are  rather indifferent at the idea of any real change. At this very moment, the so called super committee, is in a hopeless dead lock because the Republicans, want to cut taxes, and  the Democrats,  want to raise raise them, and it seems it's been that way,  since the birth of this nation or at least as long as there have been Republicans and Democrats.
  I am not surprised then when people ask, why should I care what happens in this country after all,  what difference does it really make? Well some  may not agree with me, but I would like to offer an answer to that question. First,  we must define difference. When President Obama, was elected he made a huge difference. He expanded the national debt by some three and a half trillion dollars a trillion, is a number with twelve zeros behind it. I wanted to give you some perspective on just how much money one trillion dollars really is. Now, all you have to do is realize,  that  President Obama,  has spent more money in the first three years of  his Presidency then America's first forty one Presidents did combined. This means in history, you could go from President  George Washington, to President George Bush the elder, and add up all the money America spent for 216 years and you still would not have spent as much money has President Obama has in just three years. I have to admit that quite a difference to make in America but I don't think it is a positive beneficial difference.
  Secondly, how does one make a positive difference? I will tell you now, it won't be easy because the kind of change I'm referring to will be painful to make it will involve a certain amount of sacrifice and sacrifice has become something of a lost art in America. except in the case of  the poorest of us in America but even those who are seemingly below the poverty line often have computers cell phones and two cars in their garage. Let me ask you would you be willing to sell your second car and put that money into a savings account? Would you be willing for a while to eat two meals a day instead of three and take the money you save,  and put it into your savings? and these a just small sacrifices  but Americans must be willing to make some. Finally, I would say  this,  it is always easier to curse the darkness rather than light a candle and even if one person's individual efforts don't make an apparent difference in the short run, that doesn't mean it won't in the long run. to those of you who think that  you have sought political change for too long now with no results think of the future generations who will live after you. what kind of America would you have grown up in if your great grandparents would have felt the way you do now? Speaking just for myself, I would rather speak  out when I can stay informed about things which will effect the country I live in. I would rather live my whole life trying to make a difference and fail,  than reach a point in my life where I thought I has now earned the right to no longer even try.. Sometimes,  the best way to a difference is just to  decide to make one.  I hope this blog,  I write will offer hope,  and inspiration  to all who may read it  to continue to strive to make a positive difference in my county if only for the sake of  those who will come after me. I will never retire from patriotism,  and political awareness and involvement.  To me, striving to make a difference is the essence of what makes America so great. As always my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment