Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Work Is Part Of Self Respect.

  There is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment one experiences after an honest days work.I remember my first real job was a carry out or a bag boy at a local grocery store in my hometown. I remember I made top wages two dollars and thirty  cents an hour. I remember getting my first paycheck there sure wasn't much left after Uncle Sam,  got his part of it come to think of it there still isn't even today. I grew up in a Christian,  home so that meant ten percent of my check went into the offering plate at church. the forty dollars I had left however was all mine I had earned it it was mine.I was so proud of my self I was able to save some money for college and for the first time I felt like an adult and even my father told me I was no longer a boy I was working and helping  out the family I was saving I was taking responsibility for my future. Therefore, in the eyes of my father I was a man now and he treated me as such and told me since I was a working man now I could set my own hours in other words I no longer had a house curfew as long as I called mom and told her where i was and when i thought I would be in and I only had to do this if I was going to be out past mid night I wasn't very often but it was really kind of cool that my folks trusted me because I was working and helping my family with some of their needs and learning to be a responsible adult.
  That's why I am worried for America,  today it seems that more and more of her citizens are content to depend on the government for everything.I realize some folks have earned their Social Security,  benefits and they have therefore retired. I realize their are those who are disabled and cannot work . I understand this and have no problem with it. I don't even mind if a person finds themselves between jobs and needs some unemployment or food stamps until they can find another job.The key word here is between jobs! I know it's hard to find work right now. I also know however, that their are those who are content to take a government hand out instead of working a job that they consider to be beneath them. I hope Americans,  have not gotten so dependant on government that they would rather take a government check that often requires no effort on their part as opposed to taking a job that may require some hours of good old fashioned hard work. All I know is money earned through honest labor gives a person a feeling of self worth and a true sense of self respect and to me it's still pretty gratifying to make money  the old fashion way like they used to say in that old Smith Barney, commercial  remember? " We make money the old fashioned way we earn it."Thomas Paine, warned against giving government to much influence in the lives of Americans,  he said the following;"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government.The Bible,  says,  in the book of Acts,  if you don't work you don't eat. Finally, there is a reason I think why self respect and respect from others is a lot like money both of then need to be earned! As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment