Saturday, August 18, 2012

Just Let Small Business Breathe Please!

  You have no doubt heard the expression, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Well, many thoughtful and caring children are trying to do just that by having the National Lemonade Day.  Apparently,  there are a good number of wonderful causes that children are staring lemonade stands to raise money for this sounds like a very good idea. Many of the causes are certainly noble enough. One would certainly think that liberals would be all for this idea. Liberals,  however,  also love big government. Government,  loves small business regulation. Therefore, if your neighbors kid down the street opens up their own lemonade stand they  better make sure they  have a permit to do so. The government wants to make sure that Johnny and Suzie down the street aren't selling the public tainted lemonade. All I know is I drank lemonade from my neighbors lemonade stand in my neighborhood  when I was a kid and I'm still here. I haven't heard any reports in the news about folks selling tainted lemonade and frankly, I don't think I really ever will.
  So, what's going on here? I believe what we have here is government in the name of health and human safety are trying to regulate lemonade stands by requiring the purchase of the permit as a means to get a piece of the profits raised by the lemonade stands. I no long wonder why small businesses are having a difficult time in their day to day operations. The truth is,  if the government wants to regulate a child's lemonade stand what chance does a small business have?I have talked  to several small business owners and they all say it's hard enough to start a business and get an idea off the ground with the government regulating a business to death!
  Since when did we the people let government have so much power? The founding fathers warned us a bout letting government grow to powerful. Thomas Jefferson, always stressed the importance of limited government. Sometimes since our government often acts like a king that answers to no one, I wonder if it isn't time for another American revolution. Hopefully we will have one of sorts in the voting booth with the election in November.I also ponder this question, if government can regulate a lemonade stand what else can they regulate? Can the government tell us what cereal we can buy? Can the government tell us what car we can drive? Can the government tell us what house we can live in? Can the government tell us what we will believe and therefore what church we will go to, if we are permitted to go to church at all. Could it get this bad ? Yes, but only if we the people remain silent and complacent and let it happen!We have the right to remain silent but that doesn't mean we should always use it. There is a time to speak up and if the American people don't speak up soon I think one day government will see to it that Americans,  forever hold their peace. Finally, if you see a kid in your neighbor with a lemonade stand selling lemonade today, buy a big glass for me! As always, my friends, these thoughts remain just,  some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment