Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What Is Truth?

  Recently,  I had lunch with an old college friend. We talked for a while and in passing I ask him if he had decided who  he was going to vote for in the next election. His answer was quite revealing he said the following:" I really can't tell you who I'm going to vote for.""I guess I'll just vote for the candidate that tells the most truth or at best,  lies the least." I thought a great deal about the words my friend had said and in many instances he is correct to find any human being let alone a politician who would tell you the truth all the time is not only unlikely, it is not possible if only because truth based solely on human reasoning is limited and flawed simply because a humans wisdom and conclusions regarding truth are finite. Therefore, I conclude that if I am to embark on a search for truth I cannot a limited human source certainly not from a politician because their truth is often ever changing and is at best relative to various political situations thus to a politician what is true today may not be true tomorrow.
  As a Christian, I will try to vote for a politician who comes the closest to the traditional Christian values I believe in I tend to prefer a conservative type of government but this political preference in and of itself is not truth in the broadest sense of the word. As a  Christian,there is only one place I can go to begin to know not only what truth is but who truth is.For Christians , the Bible, makes it very clear God,  is truth, therefore, every word God, has ever spoken or will ever speak is truth because God is truth and is  eternal without a beginning and without and end Therefore,  God,  cannot change just as real truth cannot change. God's truth is consistent because real truth is the very nature of God. God cannot lie in fact if God,  can lie then God cannot be God.
  John 14: 8-9 Thomas ever the doubter ask Jesus to show the father to him as well as the rest of the disciples Jesus, had just told his disciples earlier in John 14:7" If ye had known me you would know my father also and from henceforth ye know him and hath seen him. Jesus was God in flesh John 1"1 makes it clear that in the beginning was the Word and the Word,  (Jesus the Son,) was with God and the Word,( Jesus the Son,)  was God. John 1:14 goes on  to say,"And the Word, was made flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld his  glory the glory as of the only begotten of the father full of grace and truth. Jesus, said in John 14:6 Jesus said," I am the way the truth and the life no man comes to the father but by me." Jesus is indeed God of very God and man of very man therefore,  his word is truth. An atheist, is to be pitied for they do not acknowledge God and they cannot know what real truth is because their entire belief system is based on a lie. Psalms, 14:1 says, "The fool hath said in his heart there is no God." and God will not reveal himself to someone who is unwilling to admit that he exist. Hebrews 11"6 says,"Without faith, it is impossible to please God,for he that cometh to God,  must believe that he is and  that he  is a rewarder to them that diligently seek him." Christians,  can discern what is true by the power of the Holy Spirit as they read the Bible and grow in the knowledge of God remember God is truth. John 4:24 says, "God, is a spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in  truth." Therefore, as Christians,  seek God's will and wisdom in their daily lives, this is a form of worship of God because by seeking God's will Christians, acknowledge that God is truth.
  As a Christian , I know that truth based on human reasoning alone cannot be consistent so I don't seek truth  based on human reasoning alone  As a Christian through faith in God and his Son the Lord Jesus Christ and through the power of the Holy Spirit I can know God and God is truth. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment