Sunday, July 15, 2012

Christianity, Is Following In Christ Footsteps.

  I am so very far from perfect and I will confess to you that even as a Christian, I have more than my share of faults and human short comings. My wife could probably tell you what my faults are even better than I could because she has to put up with all my faults and no doubt she is aware of some of my faults that I haven't even thought about yet! I am so thankful that Jesus, looks beyond my faults and accepts me just the way I am. I find Christ doesn't concentrate on all the things your not he seems to realize most of us know all the things we aren't. Jesus, takes a person where they are and as they are and slowly molds them in to what they can be. As a Christian, the chief purpose of man is to glorify God. Therefore as a Christian, my goal should be to be like Christ. I need to clear up a bit of a misconception concerning Christianity. True Christianity, is not my religion in fact, I will go so far as to say Christianity, is not a religion even though it is often called a persons religion  of preference of faith. I can only say that for me Christianity, is a choice I have made with my free will to follow in the foot steps of Jesus Christ,  and seek to live my life as much as possible according to the principals of his teachings which are found in the Bible a book I personally believe to be the word of God as expressed in the gospel of John chapter one.
  Psalms 37:23 says, "The steps of a righteous man, are ordered by the Lord." As I considered what this verse really means I thought back to the days of my youth. My first real Job was a carryout or a bag boy. I enjoyed the job I liked meeting people. I tried to pack the sacks as evenly as I could and I never wanted to pack the bags too heavy many elderly ladies could not lift the bags if they were too heavy and I tried to remember that I would not be there to unload their groceries when they got home. I was not the fastest bag boy but I tried to be the friendliest bag boy there. Many customers would wait in the store on purpose just so I could take there groceries out and we could talk about there day.
  One afternoon,  I looked at my paycheck and when I added it up I realized I had been over paid by thirty dollars I cashed the check and then I gave the manager back thirty dollars and told him I had been over paid he could not believe I would not only catch the mistake, but then seek too give the money back. the manager said to me are you sure? I told him yes and I even told him how the mistake had been made. The manager thanked me for returning the money a mistake had indeed  been made. He then asked me, "Why did you give the money back?" "No one else I know would have.the store would have just considered it a mistake in their accounting and written it off as a loss." I told him because I felt it was the right thing to do. The manager then said these words to me, "Jon,  you appear to me an honest man,  I was just wondering are you a Christian?" I said, " Yes sir" the manager said I thought so! I left for college shortly after that but as I was leaving the owner of all the seven grocery stores  called me into his office and said here is a bonus something to take to college with you he handed me  an envelope and inside was a  check for  several  dollars plus,  my regular last pay check. He smiled and said you don't have to give the extra money back it is a bonus to thank you for working here. The owner of the grocery chain then said I have head a lot about Christians, but now I've seen one. I never forgot  those words and what I am learning as a Christian,  is that you never know who is watching you. Paul told the early church to follow him as he followed Christ. To my fellow Christians if you are follow Christian,  trying to follow in Christ footsteps remember walk carefully, because you never know who may be watching you and attempting to follow you as you follow Christ. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just,  some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment