Monday, May 21, 2012

The Adult In The Room.

  I hate to admit it, but whether I like it or not I'm getting older and my memory I suppose,  is not quite as sharp  as it used to be. I just received a late fee from the gas company it seems my payment was one day late and I was accessed a late fee. I realized  what happened I nearly forgot to pay my gas bill and by the time I remembered it arrived one day late. I called the gas company and told them I had never paid a bill late in my life but I told them I guess, there is a first time for everything they were very understanding but I still had to pay the late fee. I am all caught up now and I paid a little extra to stay ahead on the gas bill. The lady at the gas company said she wished every customer she talked to was as diligent with their account as I had been with mine. I hung up the phone and then I thought it shouldn't be that unusual to be diligent in paying your bills. My father,  always said,  when you can pay your own bills that was a sign you were indeed a responsible adult.
  When I consider the economic mess this country is in, I can't help but wonder who among our political leaders is willing to step up and be the adult in the room so to speak and make the cuts necessary in our nations budget to try to get a handle on this nation's staggering 16 trillion dollar debt. All to often it seems. the liberals in our government whine about the need for everyone to pay there fair share as they continue to demand a raise in taxes.The conservatives in our government say they want to make cuts in our nations government spending until the cutting actually goes into affect then often even some conservatives acknowledge the need to make as long as you don't cut their department or special project. Trying to get our government to make responsible budget cuts is a lot like going to Heaven,  everybody certainly wants to go but nobody  wants to die to get there!
  Someone,  better decide to be the adult in the room as far as our nations debt is concerned. When you consider that America, as a nation is nearly 16 trillion dollars in debt and that this nation borrows forty cents of every dollar we have and that the payments we make to China, only cover the interest due on the nations debt some one better have the courage to step up and do what must be done to save this nations economy and they better step up soon! You know,  I wonder Just how understanding China, would be if America,  for got to make a interest payment on the money we borrow from them? Maybe, they would understand but I wouldn't hold my breath. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

1 comment: