Monday, July 18, 2011

Success In America, What Is It Really?

  We all want to be successful in life. In fact I can't honestly tell you that I've ever met anyone who desired to be a failure. I have to ask myself though, what is success? It seems that this word success can have many different meanings depending on who you ask. The folks out in Hollywood, wish to be successful actors and do well at the box office. Those in the music field of course wish to make successful music videos and sell many compact disk in the music stores. Athletes aspire to be great in what ever sport they wish to excel in. Fame fortune I suppose, are natural byproducts of success. There  is nothing inherently wrong with having a certain amount of fame or money.
  I confess to you,  I often wonder what it might be like to go into any store and buy whatever you wanted, never having to consider if you could afford it or not. In the words of Eliza Doolittle " Aw, wouldn't it be lovely! yet I find myself at a loss,  as I continue to ponder the true meaning of success. You see, if fame and wealth are all success is then Elvis Presley should still be here today. He was found however,  on August 16, 1977 dead on the floor of his million dollar mansion bathroom. They say he had so many prescription drugs in his body that they couldn't even identify all of them. It has been said that he often felt totally alone in the middle of an over crowed room filled with adoring fans. He could afford anything he wanted. yet he often said he could not find a true friend when he really needed one how sad. Laddies and gentlemen I promise you no one loved Elvis more than I did and still do. I have a great deal of his music and even a few of his movies. When I hear Elvis singing Are You Lonesome Tonight? I still weep.John Lennon once wrote in a song  " Give ya everything I got for a little peace of mind."  Could it be that famous people like Elvis Presley or John Lennon some how over looked the true meaning of success? I think this is quite possible.
  So what is the true meaning of success? Perhaps,  true success is not necessarily demonstrated from without but rather deeply felt from with in. I suppose I will never know the ease of  having all the money I could ever want.I have however,  the the unwavering love of my family. I have the love and respect of a few close friends who would be at my side in an instant to help me any way they could if I needed them. I have the contentment of knowing from time to time   that my existence however ordinary still, has made a difference in the lives of others. Maybe knowing this is all the success I will ever know. I have a feeling however, that is all the success I will ever need. As always my friends these thoughts remain, just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment