Friday, July 8, 2011

Can Real Character Still Be Found In America?

  My father once said something to me that I have never forgotten. I asked my dad many years ago what would he consider to be the greatest gift skill or ability a person might ask God to give him. As I thought more about this I then asked my dad these questions Should I ask God  to give me wealth? My dad quickly said no! Then I asked should I ask God to make me smart? Again my dad said no! Finally, I asked should I ask God to make me strong and powerful or perhaps a great leader? Once again, my dad made it very clear to me his answer was no! At last I asked my dad then what should a young person starting out in life ask God for? My dad said one word character.
  Then of course, I asked my dad what makes character so important? He then said this, you need not ask God to make you smart we have books schools and teachers for that and you need to be even smarter there will always be those who are smarter than you and you can always borrow from their knowledge if you must. Then, my dad said this you need not ask God to make you rich. We have banks and various lending institutions who will be glad to let you borrow  any money you might need . You might even have friends who are better off financially then you and you might be able to borrow money from them. Then dad said this if you wish to be a great leader you can learn how to lead by learning from other great leaders and in a sense then borrow  from their vast knowledge and leadership experience. then almost in desperation I asked my dad what made character  so vital to obtain. He then simply said this,because character is the one trait that only God can develop with in a person. Therefore if a man or woman has no real character  with in them, it is the one trait they will never be able to borrow  from anyone.
  My dad went on to say, that if a you have no character developed with in you, then you will never accomplish anything. No matter how much money you have you will never be truly rich. No matter how many powerful people you may be around, you will never truly know them and thus never truly learn  anything that really matters from them. Thus you will be alone for true love or friendship is something that can not be bought.therefore if you become a person with no real character, then you will live and die unto yourself. You will then have lived but made no lasting difference in anyone's life including your own!
  I will always treasure these words of wisdom from my dad.His words helped to mold me into the person I am today..
  Now as I consider the future of  America, I ask myself this same question, can real character still be found in America? America must realize that real character can never be borrowed not even from China! Who will inspire character in America for future generations? This question must be answered and soon or else America may become the country I used to know. As always, these thoughts remain just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment