Thursday, July 21, 2011

Could America Return to the Good Old Days?

  Like most of us, I am thankful to live here in America. I  appreciate the fact that America has many modern conveniences. I am very happy to have indoor plumbing. I could still take you places that use outhouses. You know,  that's got to be a lot of fun in the wintertime! I enjoy being able to ride in a car, so I don't have to walk everywhere I wish to go. When I'm in a hurry, and  want to eat a snack,  I'm  so glad I can heat it up, then eat it up thanks to the invention of the microwave. It has become clear to me that, if your going to live in our American culture today, You almost have to have a cell phone and a computer. I have to admit there are times  when I feel lost without these devices.yet, in the mist of so many technological advances, I still have to ask myself sometimes, has America lost something along the way. I believe this is quite possible.
  Let me ask you something, when, was the last time you were able to sit down at the same supper table, with your whole family, at the same time. While at the supper table, did the conversation go beyond  please pass the gravy. Did your conversation last more then ten minutes? I asked this question simply because. I have not heard of a family of late, that either has time nor makes the time, to get together around the kitchen table anymore. Americans lead such busy lives now days. On any given week day, a family schedule  often, goes something like this, after school,  mom's  got to get Tommy to soccer practice. Tommy's sister Tina she's got cheer leading practice so she"s still at school dad will have to pick her up at school when cheer leading practice is over. If that's not enough,  youngest brother,  Timmy is staying the night over at Billy's house. You see Billy just got the latest gaming system, and Timmy just got to try it out. It seems, there's just no time for family time anymore.
  I sometimes wonder what it might be like if suddenly, America could be transported ,back in time a hundred and twenty years. Let's go shall we?   Suddenly,  there are no cellphones, in fact, there are no phones at all. There are no cars, so, you'll have to ride a horse,  or walk.There are no planes, you may however book passage on a ship. I must warn you however, travel in these ships will be very different  from the modern ships your familiar with. If you live out in the country, most likely, you will live in a modest wooden home.If you eat, you will   have to grow your own food, remember, there are no grocery stores When your ready to eat,  you'll cook your food over a fire place in a large cooking kettle, or on a wood stove, you will need to gather and cut the wood first. Please make sure you have enough wood for the fire place, its still a bit cold after sundown. After supper, mom, may sew by the fire. dad will read the latest copy of a newspaper he picked up at the local trading post earlier that day.The children tell mom and dad how hard school is, they are glad however it's only a mile to walk.When the children finish there school work and their daily chores, there maybe time to play with some homemade toys that dad, mom, or they made by hand, soon, it's time for bed.  don't forget to visit the out house before you bed down on the floor.
  Now let's fast forward a hundred and twenty years,  Whew! it's good to be back! Did you enjoy the trip? One thing I did notice parents did talk with children more if only because they did so many things together. I noticed something else strange, parents talked with their children, and not just at them. I would now pose a challenge to the American family. When you finally, all get home tonight, sit down to a good supper.Do yourself a real favor, turn off the cell phone computer, and the video games, and rediscover the art of true family communication, I'll bet parents,  and children you will be surprised what you can still learn from each other. American family, your challenge awaits,  good luck! As always,  my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment