Thursday, December 1, 2011

Where Are The Peace Makers?

  My daughter is a constant amazement to me. One minute, she's nine playing with her Barbie dolls the next minute,  she's twenty solving social problems like a world diplomat. Last night,  she was talking on the phone to one of  her friends and she was explaining to her that she was  her friend and then my daughter said she was also a friend of  another one of their classmates classmates friend that they both had in school. My daughter keep telling her friend on the phone that she would not choose between them she said she liked them both equally and she wanted to stay in the middle. Realizing, that's not the word she wanted to use,  she asked me what was a better word to use I suggested,  the word neutral. She then told her friend, 'In an effort to keep peace between all three of us I choose to remain neutral.' I then remembered something  my daughter's second grade teacher once told her mother and I, her teacher said our daughter had a real gift when came to working with others she said our daughter was a natural peace maker and would make a wonderful diplomat. I remember thinking to myself,  what a wonderful gift to possess, then I wondered why no one in any branch of our government seems to have that gift.
  The truth is often, the only peace our government seems to be interested in is which branch of of the government is going to get the biggest piece of  political  pie in what ever deal they might be trying to work out to gain the best political advantage.The recent failure of the super committee certainly demonstrates this point all to well and while I understand their are certain compromises, as a conservative,  I can't be prepared to make, that should not mean that the art of meaningful compromise is lost altogether. When you think about it, There may be liberals and conservatives Republicans, and Democrats but at the end of the day, we're all Americans, just like we were all Americans right after the tragedy that was nine eleven. Just once I'd like to see our  Congress get together,  and agree to really work together,  for the good of the American people, and not just for the good of the next election. Where are the peace makers in our government?  Truly, blessed are the peace makers,  for they shall inherit the earth. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment