Wednesday, December 7, 2011

And Your Poinsettia Is?

  Just when you thought the secular battle over Christmas could  not be anymore insane, now I see and hear on the news that now,  some school district in California,  is now telling teachers not to have Santa Clause or the traditional Christmas flower  the Poinsettia,  displayed in any fashion in their classroom. The school feels that they can't in anyway show any affiliation to any one religion. Santa Clause,  is religious I guess because  of  the Roman Catholic connection to Saint Nicolas.  Born on March 15, 270 AD and died December 6, 343 AD. The Catholic Church made  Nicolas of Tolentino a Saint in 1466 AD and he is of course the basis for Santa Clause of  today. I guess if you really want to stretch things I can see some religious connection there. I think the School is as usual,  going overboard on this issue
  When I researched the Poinsettia,  I find it had a secular origin. dating all the way back to the  Aztecs who first used the red flower to make a red die that was used,  as one of the worlds first antipyretics  or fever reducers. The Poinsettia flower,  was first brought to the United States in 1825 by Joel Robers Poinsett. He was then, Minister to Mexico. The flower,  was  named after him. The Catholic Church,  is responsible for the flowers religious meaning. The flower is red representing the blood sacrifice of Christ and it is shaped like a star so it reminds the Catholic church of the star of Bethlehem. so the school district says it can't be a decoration in their school. Wow! who knew a red flower could have such power!
  Look this who politically correct madness really makes my blood boil!  For goodness sake,  it's only a flower. Let me pedal,  these  following thoughts to you. I think you may find them  rather stemulating, and  yes, I meant to spell it that way! The teachers, in that California school,  must not have very many important things to worry about so I guess this idea, took root, and sprang up!  I guess I better nip these flower jokes in the bud. I just want to say in closing whoever had a problem with Poinsettias being used as a Christmas decoration in that California school district as far as I am concerned is a blooming idiot! As Always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment