Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Ghost Of Christmas Past

  I will tell your right now I'm like a lot of you, I love the Christmas season. I have to admit however, lately these days I find my self longing for the the Christmas's of my past. I turn on my TV looking for those Christmas specials I grew up with, specials like It's a Wonderful life,  starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed from 1946 by the way,  that was Jimmy Stewart's first film after returning from his military service  in the United States Army during World War II. I like the musical version of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol starring Albert Finney. I love other specials from my child hood like The Little Drummer Boy from 1968 and Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer,  from 1964  and of course, How The Grinch Stole Christmas from1967. I have to tell you though, I don't find these specials as easy or as often as I once did.
  Now I see in the news,  that a Long Island Professor Dr Paul Friday,  has decided that the Christmas special Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer is not good for our children because it shows poor Rudolph being bullied by the other reindeer. Apparently, the good doctor,  doesn't remember that this story has a great ending. You would think Dr Friday, could find something a bit more important to do other than ruin a cherished Christmas tradition for many American children. I think there may be something else going here. These Christmas specials teach a moral lesson at the end of the story, as almost any one will tell you America over the last thirty years,  has become more liberal in thought, and more secular in nature. Liberals don't appreciate moral judgements of any kind unless they set them. As the years pass I have a feeling you will see less and less of the traditional Christmas specials,  you and I grew up with. I suppose that's just another part of the war on Christmas, I fear one day Christmas specials such as these will be like the ghost from Christmas past. as always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment