Saturday, November 10, 2012

What Is The American Spirit?

    Recently, I found my self in a deep thought proving discussion with my uncle.My uncle,  is the ultimate devil's advocate and he insist on thinking outside the box and often finds himself at odds with the conventional wisdom on a variety of subjects.Although conventional, is never a word I would ever use to describe my uncle, I must admit,  he has forced my to think about certain things and even if I don't always agree  with him I like talking with someone that forces me to think.I do enjoy a discussion that challenges my intellect.
    Recently,  my uncle said , that their really was no reason to worry about politics because throughout  history,  almost every president America, has ever had  has had some kind of character flaw of some kind or another and yet in spite of this America,  has survived. As I considered my uncle's words on this subject I realized that he is basically correct in his thinking. Washington,  was a great general but he owned slaves. Jefferson, was a great statesmen, but he had an affair with one of his slaves. Franklin,  was a brilliant politician but he was known  for several indiscretions.John F Kennedy, certainly was a popular president and he was popular with the ladies including a few of some notoriety that were more than friends.In more recent times,  one can recall the Clinton,  affair of the nineties that ultimately lead to his impeachment by the House he did manage to survive impeachment because of democratic support in the Senate.
    Now,  Former CIA directer David Petraeus,  becomes  the latest causality in American politics forced it would seem to resign because a moral indiscretion.And though the full truth about what really happened in Benghazi, may never fully be known and in spite of the fact conservatives just lost an election, I will never stop being an American. Although this country,  is not perfect and many of her leaders have been far from perfect throughout  her 236 year history, I am still proud to be an American. I has been said,  that the spirit of a man, is stronger than anything,  that can happen to it and the same can still be said of this nation.America , became a great nation not because everyone of her leaders were perfect but because America,  was founded on traditional Christian values.and if she does fall,  it will be because the American people,  chose to remove those values from their culture and their daily lives.
   Some,  criticize me for writing words such as these still others say,  mere words will never make any real difference.It will take more than a cynical attitude,  to stop me for fighting for the traditional values this nation was founded on and it should take more than a lost election,  to break the spirit of conservatives, in this great nation. America,  was founded on traditional values and a deep belief in the principal that God rules in the affairs of men and indeed God,  is the author of freedom and liberty. The Bible, says, in II Corinthians 3;17 "Where the spirit of the Lord is there is liberty." I only know that I will continue to fight for traditional values in this country and with my faith in God, and with his guidance nothing,  will break my American spirit. Faith  in God, is the essence of the American spirit  and I will not be ashamed or ever apologize,  for being an American,  and I pray that the majority of Americans,  in this nation,  feel the same way I do. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just,  some words,  to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment