Monday, November 26, 2012

Getting Old Is Hazardous To Your Health.

    My mother is 87 and in surprisingly good health. She takes no medications on any kind of regular basis and her mind is very clear. I call her about three times a week to check on her. The truth is,  at 87 she is in better shape then I am.When I talk to my mother on the phone and ask how she is she just says, "I may be 87 but I'm never going to get old because getting old is hazardous to your health." Indeed, my mother is blessed, to be in such good health but as I consider her words regarding getting old. I now realize there may be more wisdom in her words then one might think.
    I am 52 now and I take ten different medications some control my high blood pressure others,  control the pain of my arthritis and still other medications help to relax my muscles in my back and legs for better movement.I have noticed over the years, that it is taking more and more medication to keep my body from driving me crazy from just dealing with the pain of walking or standing and no doubt I will one day have to resign my self to a wheel chair or maybe one of those motorized  scooters one hears so much about these days on TV I am determined to walk while I can and therefore for now, I use a cane. My medications keep going up and some of my medicines are no longer covered by my prescription drug plan.  Unlike my mother I am not in tip top shape and I find my self pondering this question, If I live to be eighty or eight five but I suddenly need a hip replaced will I be able to have it done? 
    Obama care,  seems to suggest that as one gets older if it starts be something less than cost efficient to keep one a live then a government appointed  panel of strangers may have the power to decide that it is more economically feasible just to make one comfortable and just wait till one dies. I see this as a type of life rationing although the government , under Obama care,  will probably call it a more realistic use of health care resources.If this type of life rationing  is allowed to be put into practice then what one will have is a practice of assisted suicide sanctioned by the government. One might simply call this practice abortion for old people.
    Patrick Henry, made this very brilliant observation concerning controlling the power of government. he believed this was the constitutions maim purpose. He said the following;"The constitution, is not an instrument for the government, to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." Based on these words I don't see how the government has any right to tell anyone when it is time for them to die. Life is a gift from God. Since the constitution says,  all men are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights among them life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, I want to know what gives the government the right to decide when one's pursuit of happiness must come to an end? When Obama care,  goes into full affect in 2014, I hope I can be like my mother and refuse to get old because under Obama care, getting old is hazardous to your health. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment