Monday, November 5, 2012

Voting, What Difference, Does It Really Make?

  There's an old joke that illustrates how many in this country feel about voting. The joke simply poses  this question to a man on the street and the joke goes something like this. "Pardon me  sir, I am told the  two major problems in the world  are ignorance and apathy what do you think? Without much thought the man on the street replies,"personally, I really don't know and I really don;t care. As much as I hate to say it I find there are a number of people in this country who feel this way about voting. One neighbor of mine even said to me, why should I vote? What difference can my one vote make? His question intrigued me, so I decided to do a little research to see if there were real political elections or issues that really were decided by one vote. As it turns out,  a great number of political elections or issues,  were decided and passed by one vote. Here are but a few examples. In 1800, Thomas Jefferson, was elected president, by one vote in the House of Representatives, after a tie in the electoral college. In 1846, President James K Polk's request for a Declaration of War against Mexico, was passed by one vote. In 1868, President Andrew Johnson, was impeached but not convicted because the Senate, was one vote shy of the necessary two thirds required.In 1876, Samuel Tilden,  won the presidential popular vote but came up one electoral vote shy and lost to Rutherford B Hayes. In 1962, the Governors, of Maine Rhode Island, and North Dakota were elected by an average of one vote per precinct.
  Yes, one vote can make a difference but there are even more important reasons why as Americans, we should all vote if we are able to do so. I wonder if most Americans,  realize that voting is the essence of American independence? Why do I say that? The American Revolution,  began because the colonies were not represented in English Parliament therefore the had no vote and  King George,  was free to pass The Tea Act of 1773  which placed an unjust tax on the colonist tea. The colonist then responded,  with a revolt that took the form of the now infamous Boston Tea Party,  from whence the modern day Tea Party that was formed in 2010 derives it;s name. The colonist of 1773 began  a pubic out cry and their slogan of no English taxation without representation became the the rallying cry that eventually sparked the American Revolution,  that gave birth to this nation. The act of voting, is a symbol and the very essence of a free democracy. but if your still wondering why every American, should vote consider this. When one exercises the right to vote they in affect  say thank you,  to the countless thousands of brave men and women everywhere who died  in numerous  wars across the globe   to make sure that the right to vote and hold  free elections would be preserved for now and for future generations
  Finally,  let me make this appeal to anyone who may still feel that voting is a waste of time. If as a free American, one is  just too lazy and pathetic to get off their  lazy  backside and go vote then as far as I'm concerned,  one  may as well go to every military veteran's grave and spit on it because when one is  free and healthy and able to vote and one  does not  in affect,  that is exactly what one does  and I have no doubt  these same type of  individuals,  will be among  the first to complain about the results of an election if they don't approve of a given government policy or procedure and speaking as a person who knows one does not have to vote and realizes that all Americans,  have freedom of speech if anyone should read these words and is able to vote and still decides  not to vote please don't use your freedom of speech around me to gripe and complain because I just probably won't know what your problem is and I can assure you I won't care. Hear me Americans for Haven's sake  go vote! As always, my friends, these words remain, just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment