Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A New Year A Fresh Start.

    Just like most anyone I suppose, there have been various times in my life when  I really wanted to start over in some area of my life. I suppose that it is human nature to some existent to desire another chance for a new beginning. Perhaps,  that is why with at the start of each new year making so called New Year's resolutions,  is so popular. Many of these resolutions involve quitting a bad habit like smoking or drinking or improving some aspect of one's character such  as promising to control one's temper or making an attempt to be more honest. All of these resolutions, to be sure,  are worthy goals and indeed,  the purpose of most resolutions is to make oneself a better person. I must confess however,  that as a rule I usually resolve not to make New Year's resolutions because I usually don't want the struggle that is involved with trying not to break them even now I find myself  wondering just how many New Year's resolutions have all ready been broken.
    This year however, I believe for the first time in a long time, there are three resolutions I have made and as a Christian,  I promise with God's help I will keep them. Resolution number one, I resolve as a Christian,  to trust and  rely on God,  instead of money or circumstances. As a Christian, I find it is easy to trust God and claim to have great faith when my bank account seems healthy and the circumstances in my life are such that my life seems easy and the future looks bright.I know of course,  that nothing measures the strength of one's faith like adversity indeed in times of adversity one is forced to trust God and many times I believe that is it's purpose. God often uses adverse circumstances to help Christians realize  that God is the source of their strength and they should in turn trust him to supply there needs. Notice that I said,  needs and not wants. As A Christian, I know God,  knows what I need and often times what I might want would not be good for me there fore I must trust in Gods wisdom and timing as he supplies what I need
    Resolution number two, I resolve to make the most of each new day and or opportunity I am given. Psalm 90:12 indicates to me that each Christian,  should do this. The passage reads as follows;" So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." At fifty two with a body that is already in a weakened  condition due to cerebral palsy as well as other injuries I am keenly aware of my mortality. I have a ten year old daughter to raise and I know as a Christian I need God's strength wisdom patience and guidance to raise my daughter and trust God to help me provide the best possible future for her.Since as a Christian, I trust God, with my future I know I can trust him with my daughter's future as well.
    Finally,  I resolve to make more time for my family.I find that life moves so fast and at times I do the important often at the expense of vitally necessary. As a Christian,  I realize that that tomorrow, is promised to  no one and nothing that I feel that I have to do should be deemed as more important than spending quality time with my family especially when life is often uncertain and particularly unfair. One moment one could have one's family only to lose them in the next moment as any parent in that was a part of the Newtown Connecticut tragedy testify to. Each new year can indeed in a sense,  be a new beginning, the key is for one to make the most of each new day and opportunity that one is given. As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment