Sunday, January 20, 2013

We Cope With Evil By Acting As Salt And Light.

    I love my daughter Cassandra, more than my very life. I'm not sure why she has this impression but for some reason she thinks I being her father, can provider her with the answer to everything and that's why it was quite an eye opening experience for her when the day finally came and I had to tell her that her daddy had something called human limitations.
    Cassandra, asked me this question,"Daddy If God, has  all  power and all knowledge and can be everywhere at once, why didn't God help the little children at Newtown? Daddy,  why did he allow the little children to die? After a long pause I finally said to her that I didn't have an answer that would completely satisfy her but she ask me to try to answer her question so I said,  there are some things only God,  knows the answer to, then I told her evil came into the world as a result of sin in the garden of Eden.She remembered the story and then asked why does God allow evil?  I said,  because if there was no evil in the world Christians would have no reason to remain here in the world for God, uses Christians,  to expose evil and restrain evil as we seek to bring others to Christ and Christians accomplish this mission be being like salt and light.When she ask how Christians,  could restrain evil by being like salt and light I asked her to remember what I did the day I cut my finger. I had no medicine to treat a deep cut on my finger so I wrapped it in salt and she remembered this and how it hurt for a while and then I asked if she remembered what happened about thirty minutes later and said "Yes daddy,  you cut closed up and began to heal." Now I get it  she said, Christians,  help heal the affects of evil by doing good and being like Jesus." I then waited until it was night and turned all the lights in our house off and  told her to come to me and look at my watch and tell me what time it was she said,  that she could not because she could not see my watch because the room was too  dark. I then pressed a button on my watch that  she had never noticed before until just then. A small light,  made the face on my watch  glow and she said,  "Now,  we both  can see  what time it is.".  I then told her,  that evil is like darkness and that many are lost and seeking the truth of the gospel . She then said,  "Now I get it,  Christians,  are like light because when they are like Jesus, they spread the light of  his goodness and the truth of his love then those who are lost in the evil darkness that is in the world,  can find Jesus,  when Christians,  let the light of Jesus and his love,  shine through them like that song This Little Light Of Mine we learned in Sunday School. Yes,  I said,  it's exactly like that.  Suddenly, she said,  "Then, I"ll  try to be like Jesus and bring light to those lost in the darkness of evil and salt to others who have been hurt by evil.. Finally,  she said, " I guess that what Jesus,  meant when he said,  Christians,  are to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world that is our mission to help others cope with the affects of evil in the world." I thought of these following verses in the Bible,  in Philippians 2:15 it say, "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the son's of God, without rebuke, in the mist of a crooked and perverse nation among whom ye shine as lights in the world."and in Matthew 5:13 it says, "Ye are the salt of the earth but if the salt have lost it savor wherewith shall it be salted? It is henceforth good for nothing but to be cast out to be trodden under the foot of men." Indeed, Christians are to be both salt and light.At first, I wondered if I had been clear and I wondered if my daughter understood how Christians were to be like and light but when she said she would do this by being like Jesus, well what can I say? By George I that she got it!

No comments:

Post a Comment