Thursday, January 17, 2013

Does Anyone Shake Hands Anymore?

    I have a neighbor who runs a flea market and he keeps a lot of his merchandise in his garage. Many times instead of going to one of the more popular stores in our area if all we need is snacks or soap or tooth paste a lot of times, it's just easier to get what I and my family may need from our neighbor. This works out well because he charges  less than even many of the local convenient Mimi Marts would.My neighbor appreciates our business and he let's us run a tab until my wife gets paid on her next pay. Our neighbor always says to me," I don't let just anyone carry a tab until payday but  your word and handshake have always been good and you always pay me when you say you will. I know your credit is good.
    You know, I never told my neighbor that I was a Christian but he told me he knew that I was not to long after he met my family and I. When I ask how he knew my family and I were Christians he said, " Oh that was easy to see you and your family were Christians because real Christians, are honest and keep their word and you and your family always have as long as I have known you." My neighbor then said ,"Jon your word and your handshake is good enough for me.
    The truth is, there was a time in this country where if two men gave their word and shook hands that was all that was needed because a handshake used to be as good as a written contract. Today however,  if one buys a house one signs a contract and several times I might add. When one buys a car unless one pays cash on signs a contract to finance a car through a bank. When a couple marry,  in addition to a marriage license many couples sign a prenuptial agreement to me if one feels the need to do that it's as if they are already anticipating a penitential break up. Lawyers often write contracts with loopholes just in cause the person who signs it needs a way out. Heaven knows politicians,  may give their word but one day not count on them to keep it.All I know is my dad's word was his bond and he bought a house and two cars and financed them  through  a bank with just the signing of his name. Here is the point I am trying to make a person's word is everything they are and it should be as good as cash money.However as anyone can tell you if one measures the worth of a person by the worth of one's word one will soon see a lot of people aren't much and some are worth nothing.Those who may read these words, I would ask this question, if your word or handshake,  was to be given and then measured in money by others,  how rich or poor would you be? As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just, some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment