Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Gift Of No!

    I am constantly amazed every year at Christmas time,  just how expensive the toys are that kids are asking their parents to buy for them.I have noticed, that the gifts children ask for most,  are the ones one will find in the electronics department at any nationally known retail department store. I have also noticed that anything that one buys in the electronics department is anything but affordable.This year my daughter Cassandra,  wants an iPod. My wife and I,  have known of this request from my daughter for about four months now. I have saved up enough money to be able to buy this electronic must have for her.In addition to the iPod Cassandra,  wanted several other games for her various electronic devices. I told her I would get her one game for her Nintendo 3DS. When she asked why she couldn't have more I explained,  I could only get her one game for the 3DS if their were going to be any apps for her iPod.. She finally understood and said to me, "Well dad, I guess you can't have everything." I told her she was right and because I loved her sometimes,  I had to say no to some of the things she might want. I told her,  that was a good lesson for her to learn now while she was young because she would soon learn that very often in life,  one does not always get every thing they might want not even for Christmas.
    Sometimes, the greatest gift a parent can give their children is the gift of NO!! Any good parent,  knows that there are times when a child must hear the word no and I would submit to any parent,  who may read this blog that if their children have never received the gift of no from them from time to time one could argue that they don't truly love their children. No child,  should get everything they want all the time especially if one wants to be able to be around them when they become adults.
    America, seems to have her share of spoiled children who have never really grown into adulthood. For many in this nation today, government,  has become the all to permissive parent. Who seems to all too willing to provide nearly anything many spoiled Americans,  might want and many times, these children don't even have to work for any of the things they receive from big daddy government and they don't even have to ask nicely. One may have heard the phase, I think therefore, I am well, these spoiled children say I breathe therefore I need and government shall provide and please and thank you may be nice but it should not be required since I live in America and am automatically entitled to whatever,  I need and big daddy government, should just give it to me. You know, sometimes,  think if big daddy  government, wanted to really show this nation's  spoiled children,  how much he truly cared about them government would give  the spoiled children in this county the resounding gift of the word NO!! and say  instead, my  spoiled children, don't be a slob first, get a life and then get a JOB!!!  As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment