Tuesday, December 11, 2012

American Affluence A Portrait Of Vanity.

    Christmas, is always a busy time of year. I admit I look forward to almost  every aspect of Christmas,  with the possible exception of  shopping. I must admit to you shopping to me is a form of personal torture. I don't like shopping most of the time because I already know before I even go shopping that I can't afford most of the things I might like to buy so to me there is no sense at looking at a bunch of things I can't have. My wife on the other hand can window shop for hours and when I am forced, I mean , have the privilege of going shopping with my wife it's a joy in fact when I go shopping with my wife what can I say,she seems to make time stand still either that or my watched stopped or maybe it's supposed to take three hours to go to five stores look at ten dresses and then go back to the first store and buy the first dress that she saw at the first store.
    I have noticed something strange during the holiday season. In spite of all the talk of the nation's national debt and the devastating peril of the pending fiscal cliff of certain tax increases the country could face on the first of January of 2013 people seem to be spending money like crazy. Some of the nation's bigger department stores,  are cranking up the holiday music because sales studies show louder Christmas music induces warm feelings and as a result customers buy more.Some stores are giving out free samples of scotch because sales studies show that it lowers customers spending restraints because it makes them feel relaxed and thus they will spend more than they usually would.There is another trend I have noticed customers don't want just one of anything here is what I mean. Customers,  seem to be saying why buy just one big screen TV when I really need one for every room. One girl cried because she didn't have the latest version of an i pad and it seems she really needed to get it after all shew had had her current i pad two whole months! One person's whole word was coming to and end because someone before her had just purchased the last pink carrying case for her ipod my goodness, what a terrible tragedy.
  Some times, I think Americans,  need to step back from there petty affluence. Think about it do we really need all the things we we think we do? I can still remember when I didn't have a cell phone or a computer or a TV never mind not having the newest versions of all three and I have lived to tell about it. Funny,  how our grandparents never had these things and they did just fine.
    Solomon, said in Ecclesiastes,1:2 that such a desire for constant acquiring of new things an exercise in futility he expressed his thoughts on the matter with these words, "Vanity of vanities saith the preacher, vanity of vanities all is vanity. All I know for certain is it is one thing to get to give to others but it;s quite another to get just for the sake of gain for that type of compulsion is the essence of vanity As always, my friends, these thoughts remain, just some words, to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment