Sunday, January 25, 2015

What Happens When Government Becomes God?

  As a Christian I find that I struggle with the biblical concept of living by faith. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Christian to struggle with this aspect of the Christian life. Those who read my blog will notice that I've been away for quite awhile. The reasons are many it takes me a long time to compose a blog and I'm not a fast typist. As a father I have a daughter who needs me now more than ever and my health has been areal issue in the last few years.
  I was born with Cerebral Palsy and that has made things difficult  at various times in my life. Recently however, I discovered what it really means to live and walk by faith. I suffered a hernia in September of 2014. I went in for surgery to repair the hernia. The doctor for some unexplained reason decided to run a C T scan and that's when he then informed me that I had cancer in my right kidney and that I should have the cancer removed just as soon as possible.
  When the doctor said it was cancer, my whole world just stopped. I was 54 years old I had a 12 year old daughter to raise and a devoted loving and hard working wife who needed all the help and support I could give her. I knew the surgery had to be done right away but I had to heal and recover from the hernia surgery first. I will confess I don't handle pain very well and I wasn't looking forward to more surgery and the possibility of losing my right kidney to make matters worse I was disabled and I had no idea how I was going to pay the hospital bills I knew would surely come.
  I found myself asking God why all this had to happen to me now when I had a family that needed me to be there for them and I made sure to remind God of that when I prayed to him. I feared the pain I knew the surgery would bring but I knew I had to go through with it cancer waits for no one and it isn't something to be taken lightly.I prayed very hard the night before the surgery I wondered if they would the surgery be successful? Would they have to take my right kidney? Would the surgeon be able to get all the cancer? Would I live long enough to raise my precious daughter Cassandra and one day hold my first grandchild?
  I woke up in recovery The first thing the doctor said to me was I have good news and great news! I ask what the great news was first . The doctor said, the great news was that he was 95% sure he had gotten all of the cancer in my right kidney. That was great news.  I wondered then, what was the good news? The doctor went on to say that that the good news was he only had to take part of my right kidney and that meant that my kidneys in general could function much better.I was relieved to say the least but I still wondered how I would pay all the hospital bills. I decided I would trust God for those answers I reminded him that Philippians 4:19 says "But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory." I told God I needed some of those riches! I reminded God that Matthew 6"33 says 'But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you." I will tell you the answers did not come in an instant I had to remember that God isn't Santa Clause and there is the matter of faith to consider when a Christian ask God to meet there needs. I waited I wondered and worried and just as my faith was about to waver I received word from the hospital that my health insurance would cover much of my bills and in addition because was was disabled and had a household of modest income the hospital decided to write off most of the remaining hospital bills. I bowed my head and thanked God for meeting my needs.
  Anyone reading this blog at this point would no doubt wonder why I would entitle it What Happens When Government Becomes God? The reason? It's very simple really, I have noticed an alarming trend in this country. as a society the American people have increasingly become more and more dependent on the government and not God to provide anything that they may want or need. think about if the government is expected to feed you, shelter you' educate you, provided for your medical care and even give you a free cell phone to boot the question then arises, What's left for God to provide? It seems then, that faith in God is no longer necessary since all faith is now placed in the government to provide anything Americans may need. I would caution those who favor this type of thinking. I have noticed that anything the government gives anyone usually requires some aspect of their personal freedom. Remember anything the government gives anyone  can at the will and good pleasure of the government be taken away without notice.Consider this if the government gives a person everything they need they can tell you how you should vote on an issue or how you should view any policy they may be handing down. The government is already telling churches what they can and can't sat about issues like gay marriage. The government is telling pastors they will be accused of hate speech or lose their tax exempt status if the don't walk the government line. That, doesn't sound like freedom to me that sounds like slavery to the government. Ben Franklin, said it best when he said, " Those who would trade freedom for security will soon find they have neither."
  This nation must return to the faith of our fathers if we are to survive. God has been systematically pushed out of nearly every aspect of American society. Second Chronicles 7:14 says, " If my people who are called by my name shall humble themselves and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways and pray then, will I hear from heaven and forgive their sins and heal their land. This must begin with Christians in every home and church across this nation and as a Christian, I know it must begin with me in my heart. I pray daily for this nation. I pray that God will have mercy on this nation most of all I pray it is not too late to turn this nation back to God as always my friends these thoughts remain just some words to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment