Thursday, January 29, 2015

Equal Justice Is Not Always Equal.

  Parents today face a lot different challenges. One of the greatest challenges that parents must deal with is the concept of being fair with their children. I remember when I was growing up as a young man it used to make me so mad when my sister and I would both be caught doing the same thing wrong but when it came time for our punishment it always seemed to me that my sister received a lighter punishment many times just because she was a girl.I was left feeling that my dad was playing favorites. I wanted both fair and equal justice. I realize now of course, that no human being can be fair all the time but let's face it no likes to be in a situation where it's more more than obvious that someone is playing favorites!
  America's laws and judicial system is supposed to be based on the concept that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. If a person then is found guilty they are to receive equal punishment under the law and supposedly, no one is above the law. As I watch news and see what goes on particularly in our government and how they deal with our military let's just say that the treatment is not always fair and the justice has a real potential to be anything but equal.
  Consider now the case of Bowe Bergdahl, here is a man in our military who by by all accounts clearly is guilty of desertion. I doubt very seriously however if he will be formally charged with this crime and even if he is I think the White House will either bury the whole outcome under the rug or see to it that Bergdahl receives some minor punishment that results in nothing more than a slap on the wrist. While it is true that no one for now can predict how this situation will finally play out when I consider Obama and the politics involved this is the  impression I am left with up to now.
  Turn your attention now to  four star general  and former directer of the CIA David Petraeus. Here is a man who is credited with turning things around in Iraq when many at thought that the cause in Iraq was all but lost. Indeed Petraeus's courage and ample military experience made the troop surge in Iraq work thus making Petraeus a military genius and a national war hero. Yet present Attorney General Eric Holder is considering bringing federal charges against Petreaus for giving classified documents to his biographer and yes former mistress Paula Broadwell. a charge even if found to be true I believe was done unintentionally by Petraeus..I further believe that in the case of  Petraeus his possible pending charges stem from a desire from the White House to silence him on the subject of Benghazi. I believe it is quite possible thatboth of these cases I've discussed may be politically swept under the rug to avoid potential embarrassment for Obama and the White House. The difference to me is Bergdahl I believe should have to face desertion charges but I believe Petraeus should notface charges at all. Bergdahl may well get a pass on desertion because his name has flooded the media and Obama made a terrible trade of five high level terrorist for Bergdahl and Obama and the White House doesn't want further embarrassment. It seems though that Obama has no problem further embarrassing nation war hero David Petraeus. Even if the charges against Petraeus are true they are a far cry from Bergdahl's desertion charges Brave men died searching for Bergdahl but who is going to speak for them if he doesn't face charges? Brave men died in Benghazi but if Petraeus is forced to remain silent on Benghazi where is their equal justice under the law?  No one should be above the law but in these two cases I suspect the justice will be anything but equal. As always my friends these thoughts remain just some words to think on.

1 comment: